Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Snowpocalypse 2014

Last week on Friday it sleeted. In Florida. Granted, this is lower Alabama, but it typically doesn't sleet here. I joked about wanting a snow day. I didn't intend for it to happen. Especially not three. I definitely did not want it to happen while I was on duty. So let's talk about Snowpocalypse 2014.

University announced on Monday that the campus would be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Well great. Sleet, freezing rain, and snow were all in the forecast along with icy roads that the state is not prepared for. Naturally, being from the North, I was not worried about these conditions. Tuesday I venture out for dinner (Mellow Mushroom... delish) and then to a movie. Well the theater was closed. Fail. Thanks Pensacola. At least MM was open. In the end it all worked out for the best.

Wednesday gets here, and I get myself out of bed to watch Good Morning America. Well apparently this crazy weather is big enough news that the local news stays on and they don't play GMA. Instead I'm subjected to pictures of ice and icy roads and listening to people who have never witnessed such a phenomenon. Highly disappointed. So I looked outside, found that it was super pretty, and decided to go on an adventure. Campus looked awesome. I walked around for two and a half hours. Then I ventured out to Panera for lunch. Roads were slippery, but it was nothing new to me (I was more worried about other drivers).

As I'm walking out of Panera, I hear the infamous (and cringe-worthy) duty phone ringtone. Burst pipe and a ceiling issue. Been there done that. No heat. Well damn. Let's open shelter. A whole lot of other issues and a night full of rounds (still ongoing). Well it's been fun. I got nearly every major issue all in one day. Record. And learned some awesome code speak... 'Tony has the torch'.... still don't know what that means.

Needless to say, it's been one interesting day. Another snow day tomorrow (which is really today now). These are things I didn't expect to happen in FLORIDA. I realized I love weather like this so I definitely need to move north (where they're better prepared for this weather. Well, just prepared in general). I also never thought I would need a jacket or gloves in Florida. So I have neither and mostly I wish I had gloves. Thankful I have a hat, and glad I look cute in it. I also enjoyed my photo adventure today and realized I've missed taking pictures. So I leave you with this photo evidence of snowpocalypse 2014:






If you're wondering about the DG Photography... it's a long story dating back to high school.

Stay warm, Florida. By which I mean, get warm because I'd like to sleep instead of dealing with issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment