Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Social Media Woes: RA Class Edition

So in an assignment for the RA Leadership Class, students have to reflect on their social media use in a digital format... like a blog post for example. Since social media is a huge passion of mine, I thought that I would do the assignment as an example to them.

The first part was for them to watch The Social Media Revolution 2014 video.


Then there were some questions to answer:
What piece of the video stood out the most for you? Why?: I think it's just the overall growth of Social Media. It's amazing how at some point it reached the tipping point [good book...] and took off. Thanks to my Facebook video for their 10 year anniversary, I realized I've been on Facebook since 2006 [I was in high school]. I was on MySpace and Friendster before that [many students don't even know what Friendster is]. It used to be a small part of my week, and now it's a big part of my day.
Did anything in the video surprise you?: I was pretty surprised that online students outperform face-to-face students. I don't do well in online classes, so I guess I just didn't think much about how others do.
How does the social media revolution affect you?: It's a part of my life. I'm on social media every day, and my students and residents are too. It's become a strong passion of mine, so it's something I pursue in work too through presentations and use.
How connected are you?: In a given day, I check my social media profiles ten to twenty times a day? More like I'm always connected though. I'm on Facebook every day, though I don't post as often as I used to. Twitter is hit or miss with me. Instagram is usually every other day or so. LinkedIN is rarely [I'm bad with this one, but better than I used to be].
Who are you?: Well, I wrote enough 'Who Am I?' papers in grad school to know this one. It's a really long answer [you should see the papers I wrote].
What do you believe in? What are your values?: I believe in ambition and striving to make the world a better place, in whatever way you think accomplishes that. I value integrity, faith, family, honesty, and learning.
What will you stand up for? What won't you?: I stand up for myself, for those less fortunate, and for animal rights [mostly as far as whaling and dolphin slaughtering]. I won't stand up for anyone trying to beat the system, or anything that would lessen my intergrity.
What are your closest friends like? Are they like you?: They're kind of all over the place. Some of us are just the same, and some of us are polar opposites. Our values bring us together.
Does your online profile(s) accurately reflect who you are?: I've spent a lot of time making sure my online identity matches who I am, so yes, my digital identity is the same as what you get with me in reality.
What happens when you Google yourself? What did you find? Any surprises?: So, it's not the first time I have Googled my name. I highly recommend googling yourself and your friends when you're all in a group. It provides for a lot of laughs. I'm an ARNP in Louisville, KY and a tax service in Hugo, OK. You find my blog, which is cool. You find an image of me as a RA, images of me from my blog, as well as pictures I've taken and put online. Oh, and you find some images of finches... the bird. Cool.
What will someone's first impression of you be based on your profile(s)? Probably that I like to bake, love photography, and am terrible at blogging.
What do you want people to know about you?: That I'm constantly on a journey, and hope they'll tag along or show support.
Can you get in trouble for the contents on your profile(s)?: Nope.
Do you need to change anything in order to be a better role model for UWF students and residents?: I don't think there's anything that makes me a bad role model, but there are always self-improvements I could make to strive to become a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment